Types of Products Made
|Page 1: Historical Overview|
|Page 2: Latest Process Developments|
|Page 3: The Process in China|
|Page 4: Pros and Cons of the Process|
|Page 5: Types of Products Made|
Aluminium extrusion is chosen as a manufacturing process because of:
- The benefits associated with the process;
The process’ ability to produce long, continuous lengths of material with minimal waste is a great advantage to manufacturers. Extrusions also allows for the manufacturing of products with complex cross sections, be it for use in long lengths or for post processing in shorter lengths.
- Its capability to produce shapes that would have otherwise been difficult or impossible to produce;
The process enables the production of complex detail within the cross section, removing the need for producing a single item from several parts. This might possible require the use of several materials and complex joining processes.
Examples of products made using extrusion include:
- Decorative ironmongery
- Glazing Components
- Door thresholds and decorative trims
- Chassis and frame components for trains and wider rail uses
- Truck components, often associated with truck bodies
- Heatsinks (for use in electronic applications)
- Exhibition display components and shopfittings
- Various car components (trim , decorative and components for car chassis)
- Hinge assemblies, which are extruded in long lengths and then cut to length
- Components used in the building industry, including extruded aluminium channels
- Components needed for temporary structures, such as frames and hinges
In some cases, it can be hard to identify whether a component has been produced using aluminium extrusions, as it can undergo a range of post processes, which can include a simple stretch, sawing and complex machining.
A wide variety of finishing processes can also be applied, including painting, passivation and anodising. This in turn allows for a choice in colour, brightness, wear resistance and durability.
Essentially a simple process, the range of products that can be provided from aluminium extrusion is huge, ranging from structural components to aesthetic components.
|Previous Page: Pros and Cons of the Process|