How to Manufacture in China: WEEE & RoHS
New EU regulations came into effect in 2006. Lighting products from China to EU countries must now conform to WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) and RoHS (Restriction of the use of certain Hazardous Substances) regulations.
While electrical (including lighting) and electronic products supplied from China (or any other country) are not affected at source (other thanmarking/ labelling), importers in the EU need to be aware of the mass and composition of the product.
WEEE marking and labelling
All EEE placed on the market after 13th August 2005 must be marked with:
- The date of manufacture or the date placed in the market
- Crossed "wheelie bin" symbol with a solid bar underneath according to EN 50419:2004
- Producers' registered identification (e.g brand name, trademark, company registration no.)
- The marking must be accessible, durable, legible and indelible
- The producer can decide on the location and size of the marking shown on the product
The RoHS directive applies to new EEE products placed on the market after 1st July 2006 and includes household filament light bulbs and luminaires.
New EEE products placed on the EU market from 1st July 2006 may not contain (above a very minimal limit):
- Lead (Pb) - no more lead based soldering
- Cadmium (Cd)
- Mercury (Hg)
- Chromium (VI) (Cr6+)
- Certain brominated flame retardents
The RoHS does not require, however, any labelling but importers/producers placing product on the EU market must be aware of the content of each component.
RoHS testing and certification may be necessary where the content and origen are unknown.
Policing of the new regulations, at present, is done individually in each EU country afetr import and once the product is on the market.
Chinasavvy can help you with RoHS
If you require RoHS certification we can provide testing and cetrificates. We can also supply BOMs with details of components.
If you require the security of knowing that China produced lighting, electrical and electronic products conform to the new regulations, let us help you.
- PO Box 3435
- Frome BA11 2ZJ
- 1 Reservoir Corporate Center
- 4 Research Drive - Suite 402
- Shelton, Connecticut 06484
- Chinasavvy HK Ltd
- 702-705, Building 7
- Beijiaochang Henglu 1
- Guangzhou 510050
- P R China
Product development and prototyping in metals and plastics. more info...
IS OUR PRIORTY
See videos of all the major processes we work in. Click VIDEO to view videos. Click PAGE to open corresponding page:
Permanent mold gravity casting:
Lost foam casting:
CNC laser cutting: